.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Random Thoughts

This Blog focuses on faith and reason, tying rational thought with faith.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Friday, July 08, 2005

The Right Thing to Do

I heard today on PBS that they interviewed a doctor who was in the British Medical House (? did I get this right?) when the bus exploded. He reported that the first thing they did was say "That was a terrorist attack -- wait there might be a secondary", and so they waited 10 minutes before venturing outside to help. I doubt wether I would have been brave enought, or rational enough, to do anything useful, and I should not judge the doctors. But faith could give you the courage to say "We must go and help now because it's the right thing to do -- if there is a secondary, then we will die, but at least we'll die doing the right thing."

You see, those doctors who waited will still die.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is cowardice and then there is caution. Those charged with saving the lives of others must excercise due caution -- if they all get blown up then who will be left to save the dying? Like when firefighters secure a building before going in.

I am not saying whether these doctors were being cowardly or cautious. I'm not sure. What do you think?

Friday, July 08, 2005 7:32:00 PM  
Blogger Phil Shea said...

You are right, and I will add to the original post. I am not their judge, and I question what I would have done. Logistically, a few brave volunteers could have been dispatched to the scene without endangering the overall effort.

10 minutes seems like such a long time.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com